venerdì 6 giugno 2008

THE OPERA




Ciao everyone,

Sorry I haven't written in a while.  It's been a combination of my intense obsession with running lately as well as laziness, as contradictory as that is.  I've just been enjoying all Milano has to offer in the last couple of weeks since I'm leaving in 2 weeks!!! Crazy!

Last week, Raveena and I went to the Opera at La Scala.  It was amazing!  First of all, inside La Scala is absolutely breathtaking.  It's everything you imagine a great Italian opera house to be.  There's gold, intricate carvings, red velvet everywhere, glamorous chandeliers, and gorgeous Italians dressed in their best formal attire.  It was unbelievable!! Second, Raveena and I had our own private box!  We sat overlooking the orchestra and the stage, leaning on plush red velvet cushions.  It was so cliche and everything I hoped it would be.  You can talk to people in the boxes next to you, just like they did hundreds of years ago!  It was fantastic.

The first show we saw was called Il Prigionero, which means The Prisoner.  It was in Italian, very depressing and dark, and rather confusing.  But the little electronic translators really helped.  Raveena and I had one on Italian and the other one on English.  Besides being utterly confused, their voices were absolutely amazing.  Just the most talented opera singers I have ever had the pleasure of hearing, not that I particularly like opera, but I still appreciated it greatly.

The second show we saw was called Il Castello di Barballoo (Bluebeard's Castle).  This show was in Dutch, which was definitely even more confusing than listening to the Italian.  But I actually understood the second show better and loved the girl's voice.  It was so pure, so smooth, so beautiful.  I really really really really really loved it.

So if you're ever in Milan, you must go to La Scala.  It's fabulous.

Nessun commento: