giovedì 22 maggio 2008

THE BOCCONI

Ciao, buona sera.

I've decided to fill you in on my school, since it is the REAL reason that I'm over here, although all this traveling and partying makes it seem as though I never study.  Well I do.  A lot actually.  I go to Bocconi University, which is a private business school located a little south of the heart of Milano.  The school, because it's private and prestigious, is extremely wealthy.  They are currently constructing a new building, which looks like the most gorgeous piece of architecture I've ever seen.  I'm jealous that it wasn't ready in time for my semester.  But the buildings that I do have class in are still very beautiful.  Ghetto on the outside (just like everything in Italy) but gorgeous on the inside.  Every room has white boards, projectors (overhead and the really fancy movie ones), beautiful modern desks (which could be the most uncomfortable things to ever exist-- thank god my classes are only an hour and a half), and the teacher's chair, which according to my professor runs @ about 1000 EUROS.  YIKES!  As much as Italians love Ikea, apparently my school is too rich to shop there.  Considering the professor walks around, writes on the board, and is never sitting in the chair, I find it a complete waste of money.  There are about 12-15 rooms on each floor, and 4 floors in this building.  That's only the N building, not including the Main Building or any of the smaller building used for the MBA programs.  That's soooo much money to waste on chairs for the professors!!  I'm also going to take a picture of the employee parking lot before I leave.  I've never seen more BMWs, Mercedes, and Porche's in one condensed area!!!  If you want to be rich, be a professor @ Bocconi.  Good god!
Anyway, going to Bocconi has been an incredible experience.  Whenever I tell someone that I'm studying at Bocconi, the look on their face is a combination of being purely impressed as well as thinking "damn this girl must be loaded".  Which I'm not, but I can thank UT for creating this exchange program so I only have to pay UT tuition.  FABULOUS.  I also get some people who treat me like a snot when they find out I attend Bocconi.  For example:  in Italian the word for in is "a" for cities, small places, schools, towns, etc.  The word for in is "in" for territories, states, important places, countries, etc.  So I would say "Abito a Milano." or "Abito in Italia".  So when I'm speaking to people about studying at Bocconi I say, "Studio a Bocconi."  And then they get this snotty little voice and go "Oooooooh studi IN Bocconi!!"  Apparently Bocconites (no idea if that's right) think they go to THE BEST SCHOOL ever.  But then again, I have the best professors from around the world, some of the best degree programs, as well as Bocconi has the best Masters program in Management in Europe.  PRETTY SWEET!!!  Also, I was reading my Mafia book on the subway today (I'm almost done!!!) and he mentions his friend who graduated from Bocconi.  The author (a journalist from Naples) then tells how Bocconi is the most prestigious business school in Italy.  I've also heard other Italians refer to Bocconi as the "Yale" of Italy.  Yes.  I go to school there.  It's pretty amazing!
Studying here is actually very interesting.  I'm in a couple of management classes where we compare the management systems businesses use around the world.  I'm extremely surprised we haven't started to work with Europe sooner.  They follow a lot of the same management and hierarchy structures that US corporations follow.  One thing I do love about Europe is that they treat healthcare and education as human rights that should be paid for by the government.  I wish the United States treated our health care and education this way.  Amsterdam, although they have 52% income tax, have health care and all high-school and university paid for by their corporations.  Hopefully one day I'll live in a country where the money I give to the government actually pays for my children's tuition.  

The coolest thing I'm doing right now is actually a comparative project in my management of human capital class.  I'm working with 2 Portuguese boys and 2 French girls and we're comparing the Bologna declaration to the United States higher education system.  For those of you who don't know what the Bologna process is (which I assume is all of you.. you ignorant Americans) it is Europe's movement towards comparable education systems.  46 countries are all participants... talk about coordination!!! The bologna declaration states that there are now 2 cycles, one for a bachelors and one for a masters.  The bachelors degree is a 3 year program and the masters is a 2 year program.  The bologna process also ensures that the quality given at the Universities is comparable.  Basically, this declaration has allowed students from all over Europe to easily study abroad as well as attend Universities not from their home nation and still graduate with the same requirements needed for their national workforce.  This movement is also allowing Americans and Japanese to more easily study in Europe and still fulfill their degree requirements (hence why I'm studying here in Milan).  Anyway, it's been an extremely interesting project and has taught me so much about the education system in Europe.  I think the EU and all their treaties and movements towards a democratic society is extremely interesting and truly a concept that gives me hope of world peace and cooperation one day.

Well enough about Bocconi.  I'm off to grab my salad and study a bit before my next class.  Ciao, buena sera, e ci parliamo pronto.

Nessun commento: